What defines innovative technology?
Maximum performance and sustainability.
FILCOTEN® HPC (High Performance Concrete) is a material, that unites outstanding technical properties with ecological sustainability. The engineered high-density structure of HPC makes it possible to construct highly stable lightweight drainage channels – but it’s the idea behind it that makes it special.
Unique concept, revolutionary results.
Our engineers wanted to create something which combines two extreme opposites:
maximum performance with minimum environmental impact.
Maximum performance, minimal environmental impact.
After meticulous development FILCOTEN® HPC (High Performance Concrete) embodied a material that is incredibly strong and has minimal impact on the environment.
• FILCOTEN® HPC (High Performance Concrete) enables ease of installation and handling
• Maintains strength and durability
• Robust concrete elements
• Unsurpassed stability and durability
• High pressure resistance clearly exceeding the requirements per EN 1433 for concrete channels
Resistant to extreme temperatures and UV light
• Maximum frost and de-icing salt resistance
• Tested to ASTM C666, ASTM C39 & ASTM C1202 standards
Perfectly positioned in the concrete bed
• Ideal expansion coefficient, in line with
the surrounding concrete
• Non-combustible building material – Class A1
• No toxic smoke emission
High drainage performance
• Low water absorption
• Smooth channel surface
• Self-cleaning effect
Verified Life Cycle Assessment
• Greater ecological transparency according to ISO 14040/14044 and EN 15804
• Ideal for sustainable construction projects
• Made using 100% green energy
• Resource-saving production process
• 40% from in-house photovoltaic plant
End-to-end resource conservation
• Certified 100% recyclable
• Quality class U-A (certified by the experimental and research institute for construction Salzburg).
Certified sustanability and tested for hazardous substances
• Certified environmental and energy management according to ISO 1400 or 50001 at the location of Oberwang / AT
• Certified biologically sound construction material that meets the stringent testing criteria of the IBR, the Institute for Biologically Sound Construction, for heavy metals, VOCs, biocides and radioactivity, styrene free
Most of BG-Graspointner’s projects now use FILCOTEN® HPC, a high-performance concrete developed in-house. The material brand circumscribes the three essential components of the material: “fil” stands for filament (fiber), “co” for concrete (concrete) and “ten” for tensile strength (flexural strength). The development is based on the guidelines of Friedrich Graspointner, who set the course 20 years ago: the basic building material remains concrete, no use of chemicals or plastics, and the development of a resource-conserving, sustainable and durable product. The exclusion of plastics is particularly noteworthy, as other manufacturers often rely on polymer concrete, plastic or GRP for their channel systems. With FILCOTEN® HPC, BG-Graspointner developed an innovative high-performance concrete that is mineral-based.
In addition to its mineral structure, FILCOTEN® HPC is characterized by a particularly low w/c ratio and an extremely dense microstructure due to optimized aggregates. Together with the fiber modification for improved early cracking strength, the flexural tensile strength is tripled compared to the 3.0 to 4.0 N/mm2 of “normal” concrete. The compressive strength of over 85 N/mm2 is also in a class of its own compared with the usual values of conventional concrete. In terms of compressive strength, this clearly exceeds the requirements of EN 1433. The frost and de-icing salt resistance is similar, with a value of <25 g/m2 W+R compared with the required max. 1500 g/m2 W+R.
Depending on the product line, the load classes defined in EN 1433 up to F900 are easily covered. The values of the permissible water absorption capacity defined in the standard are also not exceeded. As a result, FILCOTEN® HPC meets the exposure classes XC 3, XD 3, XF 4 and XA 1L required for drainage channel applications. Taken together, these properties result in a very long service life for BG-FILCOTEN® channels.
A mineral structure is generally good for the environment, but more is needed for an ecologically sound footprint. In the development of FILCOTEN® HPC, it was possible to save up to 70 percent of the non-regenerative aggregates of sand and gravel, and in the case of cement the saving is up to 55 percent – compared with an equivalent product made of conventional concrete. The production of cement is always accompanied by high CO2 emissions. Any reduction in the cement content therefore benefits the environment. In the production of FILCOTEN® HPC, decisive energy savings were realized through the use of state-of-the-art manufacturing technologies. In addition, BG-Graspointner covers 100 percent of its energy needs with green electricity – of which around 40 percent comes from its own production. Only a few companies in the industry can demonstrate such a sustainable energy footprint. Reason enough for the Upper Austrian Energy Saving Association to award the company the Energy Star 2021 for its efforts in terms of operational energy transition.
With our presence in the United States and Canada, BG-Graspointner is actively paving the way to convey the complex relationship between ecology and sustainability in construction directly to its customers, in addition to the traditional technical counseling on products.